Saturday, March 01, 2008

Not to make much of me, but to Make Much of You.......

We are reading "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper in our Bible Study group. It is excellent and I highly recommend reading it. It is convicting to consider what I really live for and how to live a life that is not wasted but instead has lasting meaning. My favorite aspect of the book is how the author unpacks deep phrases in the Bible, ones like "living for the glory of God" or To live is Christ and to die is gain" or "counting all things as loss." Sometimes i feel that we throw around those phrases without considering what they really mean. That is something i personally have questioned for quite some time. What does it really mean to live for the glory of God in the midst of working, daily living, and the mundane things of life in this physical world? How can I justify enjoying things that don't seem to have inherent worth or meaning in the light of eternity? The author actually breaks down those phrases and makes a very practical attempt to suggest how the two worlds collide or fit together. Anyway, I am not trying to sell the book, but rather to share how it has been very practical and challenging for me. Maybe i will share some quotes later...........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home